Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Day(s) In the Life


The other morning Andrew asked to play Legos.  After building a plane he decided to build a "monster shooting gun". This was the first time he was able to think, plan and build all on his own.








There is a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow that Emily and I have been saying to each other these days.  We are certain the little girl in the poem is three years old.



"...When she was good, she was very good indeed..."



"...But when she was bad she was horrid."






Today, in response to watching the MythBusters episode testing a 165 ft waterslide, Andrew and I built a waterslide out of the couch cushions. 




















After he sat on these same couch cushions for 6 weeks with a broken femur, it's hard to describe how his mom and I feel watching him tumble down them with a smile.














Clearly, I enjoy being a stay-at-home dad four days a week.  It is a profound blessing to be able to watch my kids grow up one minute at a time.  Still, I will admit that spending a whole day responding to one need after another can sometimes leave me feeling like I haven't accomplished anything.  I think that is one of the reasons that images like these mean so much to me.  Taking pictures tells the story of our days and shows that they include more than spilled milk and dirty diapers.  This is our life, moment by moment.  I love it.